ACEN 2009 2 -:- Thursday, May 21, 2009

Friday was the first day of the convention. Russell and I got up and were greeted to a fantastic breakfast (I'd even call it a "break-FEAST") in the green room of eggs, bacon, sausage, and fresh fruit. Many of the celebrities were in there before their panels, including Shinichi Watanabe, Chiaki Takahashi, and Steve Yun. Russell and I went for the con floor to set up the booth, and eventually were greeted by Josh Elder (running a bit late because of the train).



I continuously walked around between booths on Friday - Josh and Russell, Steve Horton, and Erica Reis - just chatting them up and hanging out. The first panel that I had was with Josh for his ComicFeast engine. I won't give out the details, but I was asked to come in and field any technical questions about the digital medium and marketing. However, Josh did a fantastic job on his own and didn't require my assistance.

Lunch was comped, so we all had sandwiches - I shared half of mine with Erica, knowing that she would probably have overlooked something as important as lunch while packing for the day. She was very grateful. I then had to run off to a panel that was hosted by Josh, Steve, and myself about making comics and manga. Josh opened with a 3-panel story about a father and son throwing a football. Then we fielded questions. Topics ranged from elevator pitches to story themes and distribution. There was even one of those obnoxious questions that started with, "I have a story idea, but don't know what to do with it." Josh was a little more long winded in his explanation than I would have been, which would've consisted of "just tell the story." If you're an artist, find a writer to write it. If you're a writer, then just write the thing. Don't make it bigger than it has to be, just get it out.

The panel went well, and we had a little while to hang out on the con floor before our next panel about writing. We were running 2 minutes behind schedule because the room moved, and upon entering the panel was already under way by two other people. The room was absolutely packed, and the two people didn't stop to introduce us. Josh cut out before even entering the room, sensing trouble. After about 3-5 minutes of listening to the panel people talk, giving out terrible advice and never once stopping to introduce us or let us speak, we just up and left.

We had time to hang out on the con floor before it closed and we grabbed a quick dinner. During dinner, I was able to approach two very awesome people, Matt and Ian from Machall Productions. Their panel that night was on making webcomics, and I wanted to be included - but didn't want to be a jerk and just show up. I had dinner with them and asked if it would be okay if I sat in on their panel, which they were fine with. I then asked what they wanted to talk about. "We usually just field questions," they said. Wanting to avoid questions about story inspirations and creative ideas, I suggested a panel discussion about the differences between our respective comics and how we go about making them. They also invited one of the guys from SNAFU as well as Scott from VGCats. Josh, Russell, Steve, and Erica were on an East vs. West panel, which I was only able to catch the first 20 minutes of before my panel started. Although a few of the panelists showed up a little late, we were courteous enough to introduce them and their properties, and included them in the conversation (the five of us had to share two microphones). Scott even brought leftover pizza for the panelists, which was awesome. I owe you a guest strip for that, sir!

We allowed for 20 minutes of questions, and easily could've gone for another 2 hours! People were very interested to know more about how we make our respective webcomics, the differences between long-form storytelling and gag strips, and the benefits of having a buffer (something that I highly encourage, but in practice never seem to be able to maintain myself).

After the panel got out, a few people approached me for sketches and signatures. Which was interesting to me, a very new experience. I hadn't even brought any product to sell, but people were still interested to know more about my work. I ended up heading to the green room for some much desired free booze and food, and spent the night in good company.



Saturday started fairly early, with another continental breakfast and a trip to the con floor before it opened to help set up the booths. I went out to the con floor and actually spent time walking around, checking out the booths and touring artists alley. I found the guys who were at the writing panel that we walked out of, and tried to not start a fight. I wasn't impressed by their artwork at all, but decided to pick up one of their books and try to talk to the guys. "I'm slightly familiar with your stuff, since we were on a panel yesterday." "Were we?" they asked, and then preceded ignore me. I threw the book back on their table and walked away disgusted. I won't mention who they were, in the event that they're ever accidentally allowed to be on a panel again - and I just so happen to be on it. Fate would work that way. But it's become a little inside joke for myself, Steve, and Russell.

During my tour around the con floor I found a very awesome creator from New York named Misako Rocks!. Phil Moy and I chatted for a bit, and then I made it back over to artists alley to hang out with Paul Sizer. His wife wasn't at the con, and it was his first time attending an anime convention, but he had already sold out of his latest book. I don't know why he hadn't attended ACEN before, since he has manga inspired artwork. And his latest book, BPM, is absolutely excellent.

I spent a good chunk of the day hanging out with Erica at her booth. Met her friend Sarah who was dressed as a belly dancer, and her neighbors were awesome (they sell plush rice balls).



At the end of the day we attended Josh and Russell's panel on The Batman Strikes, and then went off to the green room for a quick bite before heading off to the Mail Order Ninja reading. Josh and I had done this with his girlfriend Katie at the NYCC, and it was an absolute blast. This time it was Josh, Russell, myself, and two women that I had not met before. And once again, it was a ton of fun for not only the actors in it, but also for the audience. Josh was worried that Saturday night was not a great day / time to resonate with the audience, but everyone seemed to dig it. Someone even records the thing - but the lights were dim, so the video didn't come out so well. If I get a link to it, I'll be sure to post it.

The night ended as they all do, in the green room drinking heavily and having a righteously good time.

Sunday was a more mellow day, starting at an early morning panel that Josh held on the use of comics in schools and libraries. We split ways and went to breakfast, where I hung out with a bunch of the translators for the foreign guests. They were a pretty cool and energetic bunch, most of which were experiencing their first convention. I went and cleaned out the hotel room, and took my stuff to the con floor where I hung out with Erica until they closed everything down.

ACEN was, again, an absolutely excellent show. As always, it's the people that made it awesome, and being a guest of the convention was sweet. The people working the con were very gracious and helpful, and I will totally be attending again next year as a guest - possibly with some product and a few panels of my own.



Archives

December 2005 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010

Content Copyright Trevor A. Mueller